My name is Erik Thor and I believe we can greatly improve our quality of life and happiness by small changes in our lifestyle. Using insights from world famous psychologists, writers, and philosophers, I offer practical tools you can use to live a happier and better life. I am available for coaching for my Patrons and will help you to, in one hour, gain more self-insight, helping you spot core values and motivations, and to think of ways to use these to live a happier life.
- Individuation is the path of coming to your own and becoming your own person
Don’t look for experts to tell you what personality type you should seek to model or how you should live your life. Learn to trust your own gut and make your own decisions and learn who you are through experience.
- Personality is a spectrum – not a box
Don’t try to type yourself using binary scales or 1s or 0s. See the nuances in your behavior and recognize the situation you are in and notice your development and changes over time. My approach to personality psychology is to understand you and your unique choices and where you are at, not to force you to fit inside one scale.
- You will consistently overcome your boundaries and limitations
It’s easy to say that “This is just who I am.” but time has proven over and over that you’re capable of change and that you’ve been able to overcome your own expectations many times in life. My goal is to help people achieve self-transcendence and to help people write their own rules.
My life philosophy
- Don’t aspire to success. Aspire to be the best version of yourself.
Instead of trying to fit an ideal or measure up to other people, stop comparing yourself to other people and start focusing on what you want for yourself.
- Don’t look for happiness behind screens – look for them in the trees
Reduce screen time, and time spent at home staring at the walls. Get out into the world. There’s so much to see and experience in life. People often think of the real world, the outside world, as boring, and mundane, but there’s a hidden magic there if you know where to look. My videos and content have the goal to inspire you to get out and connect.
- Embrace minimalism and the smaller things in life
Notice the finer details and the texture of things. Find gratitude and happiness in the smaller things. Don’t aspire to big goals, aspire to happiness and joy in everything that you do. You don’t move a mountain by trying to push it all at once. You move it by finding the small shiny rocks and pebbles and carrying them over where you want them.
Who I Am
- I’m Gifted and Neurodivergent
I never had a normal or conventional mind. I had an advanced vocabulary at an early age, started school early, got to skip classes and read at an advanced level. But I also had many struggles fitting in and had a very creative mind. I found it hard to settle or to be consistent in anything I did and was often in a rush. I had a philosopher’s hunger for life and answers. If I’d diagnose myself, I’d say I have the opposite of ADHD – an overdeveloped executive function, which means, I have an unnatural amount of focus. I can discipline myself incredibly easily – and show an unusual amount of focus in any work that I do. If I set a goal, I follow through, but I sometimes struggle to keep an open mind to options and alternatives, and sometimes, I get too rigid with myself and push myself too hard. Because of this, I’ve suffered burnout and exhaustion many times in my life. So I’ve worked hard to relax my rules and boundaries and developed a philosophy centering around balance and the importance of slowing down.
- People don’t know what box to put me in
Everyone is in disagreement about what personality type or system best describes me and who I am. It’s silly because I already know I am a person with high cognitive flexibility, a passion for life in all shapes and forms, and a desire to experience every aspect and nuance of life. I aspire to learn to see life from many perspectives and to learn to cultivate many different talents. I’m a polymath, a jack of all trades, a generalist.
- I have a complex background
I became politically active at age 12 and was active for a decade in various political causes focusing on sustainability, democracy, anti-war, and human rights. I studied philosophy and rhetoric and sociology at the university, up to a master’s level. I worked in customer service and later became a programmer. I started my YouTube channel in 2007 and started exploring the MBTI and Carl Jung around 2012. I made videos on personality psychology for several years and started making more content related to modern psychology, neuroscience, and neurodivergence this year. I’ve lived in Sweden and the Netherlands and am working to become a digital nomad.
- To develop a personality psychology inventory that promotes the idea of personality as a spectrum, identifies areas for personal growth and self-development, and supports individual development.
- To explore neuroscience around personality and differences in people’s cognition, to gain a better understanding of what makes a person intelligent, and what unique forms of intelligence or aptitude that exist.
- To promote more collective harmony and understanding of each other and our differences. To help people connect and learn from one another.
- To encourage self-ownership and individual empowerment. To help people find out who they are and to teach people to live for themselves and to follow their own path in life.
Self-Discovery 101 | Online Course
Read this article
Read this article